Breast Cancer Awareness, Stories, Support

This blog is dedicated to everyone who has been touched by Breast Cancer. It is a means of sharing my story (the good the bad the ugly) and to spread awareness. My first post: October 1st 2010. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Please follow as I share my story. Leave a comment or share an experience. You can contact me by e-mail at YourBoobsOrYourLife@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Sweetpea



Thursday, November 11, 2010

Trip to Jiffy Boob (and other firsts)

I had my first outing (that didn’t involve a doctor) on Sunday. I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping because I’m just not able to get comfortable. I am a side sleeper but it is not comfortable to sleep on my side and sleeping on my stomach is out of the question. I hate sleeping flat on my back so we went shopping for a wedge for the bed. I also got a good electric razor. With fewer lymph nodes I don’t want to risk cutting myself with a straight razor. After that I went in search of some flat slip on shoes. In order to be comfortable when I go out I’ve been wearing long button down shirts with leggings but I didn’t really have a nice pair of flats that look nice with them. While I was at the shoe store I not only found a nice pair of flats I also found two pairs of cute boots (like ughs). A black pair that is mid calf and a tan pair that goes just above the ankle. I bought them both :) hee hee. Sunday night I tried the wedge with a pillow but that hurt my neck. So I tried without the pillow but that hurt my neck also. I got my wrap around neck pillow (for traveling) and that worked great. I finally got a good night’s sleep.

I had my first jiffy boob appointment Tuesday. I was kind of nervous not knowing what to expect and also excited to take the first step toward my new perky boobs. The nurse came in first to explain the process and to mark the spot where the port is. She used a Magna-Finder to locate the magnetic port and marked it with an x. She used a topical anesthetic to numb the area. After about 10 minutes the Dr. came in and explained that it might feel cold and or a tight feeling. If it gets uncomfortable let him know. He used a needle to enter the port on the right (I didn’t even feel the needle go in) and with a long tube and large syringe he started injecting the saline. I felt this very cold sensation. I told him wow that is cold, it feels like you are pouring it all over me. He looked down and said “Oh I am…well that’s never happened before…the connecting piece at the syringe was loose”. Lol After he fixed that he injected the saline. It seemed like he put a lot in before it started to feel tight. He did the left side next. I did feel the needle pinch on this side. After he was done I could see a puffy area on both sides but mostly on the left. It just felt a little strange but not painful at all. I made an appointment to return in two weeks. I am still not allowed to use deodorant arrrrrrgggg. I am allowed to shave my armpits tho. YAY!!! I went home and had some lunch then took a short nap. When I woke up it was starting to hurt a little bit, like how a pulled muscle feels. So I took me a pain pill even though it was mild…since I am no longer one of those people who toughs it out. I am not fond of pain so why have it :). It still feels a bit sore today but not too bad.

I have been doing my exercises and I am starting to get more range of motion in my arms. I can push with my arms now to get out of the recliner and can almost get my hands to the back of my head to do a ponytail. I’ve been wearing my hair down the past few days to give my hubby a break. Oh look Sense and Sensibility is on…I think I’ll watch it (for like the 50th time :)

Crohns Disease update:
http://crohnsliveswithme.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment